Temple Grandin Ph.D
Professor of Animal Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80523, USA
Consultant and designer of livestock handling facilities, Grandin Livestock Handling Systems Inc.
- B.A. (Psychology), Franklin Pierce College, 1970
- M.S. (Animal Science), Arizona State University, 1975
- Ph.D. (Animal Science), University of Illinois, 1989
- 1984, Meritorious Service, Livestock Conservation Institute (now National Institute of Animal Agriculture)
- 1990, National Provisioner, Processing Stars of 1990
- 1990, Who's Who of American Women
- 1994, Golden Key National Honor Society, Honorary Member
- 1994, Industry Innovator's Award, Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine
- 1995, Industry Advancement Award, American Meat Institute
- 1995, Animal Management Award, American Society of Animal Science
- 1995, Harry C. Roswell Award, Scientists Center for Animal Welfare
- 1995, The Brownlee Award for International Leadership in Scientific Publication Promoting Respect for Animals, their Nature and Welfare, Animal Welfare Foundation of Canada, Vancouver, BC
- 1997, CAS/Miller Com 97 Campus Wide Lecture at the University of Illinois
- 1997, Profiled in Who's Who in America
- 1997, Alpha Zeta Centennial Honor Roll
- 1998, F.W. Presant Memorial Lecture, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
- 1998, Forbes Award, National Meat Association
- 1998, Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation - Humane Ethics in Action, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- 1999, Woman of the Year in Service to Agriculture, Progressive Farmer Magazine
- 1999, Humane Award, American Veterinary Medical Association
- 1999, Honary Doctorate, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- 1999, Named as one of the 26 Industry Influentials by Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine
- 1999, Animal Welfare Award, Animal Transportation Association
- 1999, Founders Award, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- 2000, Temple Grandin profiled in The New York Times, Scientists at Work, McGraw Hill Books, New York, NY. pp. 48-57. Profile by Anne Raver
- 2001, Joseph Wood Krutch Medal - The Humane Society of the United States
- 2001, Knowlton Award for Innovation, Meat Marketing and Technology
- 2001, Wood Gush Memorial Lecture, International Society of Applied Ethology
- 2002, Richard L. Knowlton Innovation Award from Meat Marketing and Technology Magazine
- 2002, British Society of Animal Science, Yorkshire England, Animal Welfare Award Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty in Animals
- 2002, University of Illinois Alumni Illini Comeback Award. Five distinguished alumni are invited back each year during homecoming. Other comeback Illini for 2002, were an astronaut, university president, the inventor of Microsoft Office, and an administrator of a scholarship program
- 2003, Western Section American Society of Animal Science
- 2004, Honorary Doctorate of Science, University of Illinois
- 2004, President's Award, National Institute of Animal Agriculture
- 2004, The Beef Top 40: The 40 most influential people in the beef industry. Awarded on the 40th anniversary of Beef Magazine
- 2004, The Organic Style Magazine's Environmental Power List
- 2006, Animals in Translation was a Top Science Book of the Year in Discover Magazine, January 2006 p.74
- 2006, Frank H.T. Rhodes Class of 1956 Visiting Professor at Cornell University
- 2007, Autism Society of America Founder's Award
- 2007, Dept. of Health and Humane Services, Secretary's Highest Award, Washington D.C.
- 2008, Franklin Pierce College, Alumni Association: Leader of Conscience Award
- 2009, Honorary Doctorate - Swedish University, University of Agricultural Science, Uppsala, Sweden, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Degree in Animal Welfare
- 2009, Sharp Cleaver Award - Colorado and Wyoming Association of Meat Processors
- 2009, Meat Industry Hall of Fame, Chicago, Illinois
- 2009, Headliner Award, Livestock Publications Council, Fort Worth, Texas
- 2010, Fellow - American Society of Animal Science
- 2010, Inducted into the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame in Dallas, Texas
- 2010, Honorary Doctorate, Duke University
- 2010, Honorary Doctorate, Lakehead University
- 2010, Colorado Cattlemen's Assocation, Honorary Life Member
- 2010, National Cattlemen's Beef Association - Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2010, Oklahoma State University created an endowed professorship in animal behavior in honor of Temple Grandin
- 2010, Time Magazine 100 Most Influential People
- 2011, Peek Award for Disability in the Media, Utah Film Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 2011, Special Recognition Award, American Meat Science Association - In recognition of her faithful service to the meat industry and individual members and her common sense leadership in animal welfare issues
- 2011, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Double Helix Medal for communication with the public on autism
- 2011, First Place, Livestock Publications Council, Instructional Story non-association for an article I wrote in Beef magazine on cattle handling safety
- 2011, Chairman’s Award, Colorado Bio Science Association, Denver, CO for communicating with the public about autism
- 2011, American Humane Association - National Humanitarian Award - Pioneering Efforts that Reshaped Animal Welfare in the Livestock Industry
- 2011, The Halal Journal Award - Outstanding Personal Achievement
- 2011, Hall of Great Westerners, Oklahoma State University
- 2011, Promoting the Power of Education Award, Arapahoe Community College, Denver, Colorado
- 2011, Friend of Occupational Therapy Award, College of Occupational Therapy, Colorado State University
- 2012, Texas Trail of Fame - Star placed in Forth Worth Stockyards Sidewalk
- 2012, Colorado Women's Hall of Fame
- 2012, Honorary Doctorate Carnegie Mellon University
- 2012, Honorary Doctorate Western College of Veterinary Medicine
- 2012, Honorary Doctorate Franklin Pierce University
- 2012, Honorary Doctorate Arizona State University
- 2012, Liberty Science Center Distinguished Humanitarian Award
- 2012, Science and Medicine Award Bonfils Stanton Foundation
- 2012, Lifetime Achievement Award CARD Florida Center for Autism
- 2013, The Distinguished Alumni Medalion, National 4-H Council
- 2013, Chairman's Aware, Colorado BioSciences
- 2014, Honorary Doctorate - Washington University in St. Louis MO
- 2014, Honorary Doctorate - Providence College, Providence Rl
- 2014, Honorary Doctorate - Texas A&M University, 2014
- 2014, The Teachers College Medal for Distinguished Service, Columbia University, New York
- 2015, Meritorious Award - OIE World Organization for Animal Health, Paris, France
- 2015, Colorado Agriculture Hall of Fame from FFA
- 2015, Honorary Doctorate Dalhousic University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 2015, Honorary Doctorate University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2016, Honorary Doctorate Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- 2016, American Academy of Arts and Science Journalism and Communication Division
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- American Society of Agricultural Consultants
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- National Institute of Animal Agriculture (formerly Livestock Conservation Institute)
BOOKS ON LIVESTOCK SUBJECTS:
- Grandin T. 1993-2000, 2007, 2014. (Editor). Livestock Handling and Transport, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, United Kingdom. 2nd Edition, 2000. 3rd Edition, 2007. 4th Edition, 2014
- Titles of chapters written by T. Grandin:
- Introduction: A whole systems approach to assessing animal welfare during handling and restraint.
- Behavioral principles of handling cattle and other grazing animals under extensive conditions.
- Handling facilities and restraint of extensively raised cattle.
- Improving welfare and reducing stress on animals in slaughter plants.
- Grandin, T. 1995. Thinking in Pictures. Vintage Press (Division of Random House), New York, NY.
- Grandin, T. 2000. Beef Cattle Behavior, Handling and Facilities Design. Grandin Livestock Handling Systems Inc., Fort Collins, CO.
- Grandin, T. and Deesing, M. 2013 (Editors). Genetics and the Behavior of Domestic Animals, 2nd Edition. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. (Now and imprint of Elsevier).
- Titles of chapters written by T. Grandin and M. Deesing:
- Behavioral genetics and animal science.
- Genetics and behavior during handling restraint and herding.
- Genetics and animal welfare.
- Grandin T. and Johnson C., 2005. Animals in Translation. Scribner (Division of Simon and Schuster), New York, NY.
- Grandin T. and Deesing M. 2008. Humane Livestock Handling. Storey Publishing, North Adams, Massachusetts.
- Grandin T. and Johnson C. 2009. Animals Make Us Human. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, New York, NY.
- Grandin, T. 2009. Slaughter plants behavior and welfare assessment, Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior (online) ANBY: 00083 Elsevier.
- Grandin, T. 2015. Improving Animal Welfare: A Practical Approach (2nd Edition), CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxfordshire UK. (ISBN-978-1-78064-468-4).
- I wrote eight (8) chapters for this book and edited the chapters of eight (8) invited contributors. The chapters written by Temple Grandin include:
- Chapter 1 - An introduction to implementing an effective animal welfare program, pp. 1-14.
- Chapter 2 — The importance of measurement to improve the welfare of nmlivestock, poultry, and fish, pp. 15-34.
- Chapter 4 — Implementing effective standards and scoring systems for assessing animal welfare on farms and slaughter plants, pp. 49-68.
- Chapter 5 — How to improve livestock handling ad reduce stress, pp. 69-95.
- Chapter 9 — Improving livestock, poultry, and fish welfare in slaughter plants with auditing programs, pp. 164-193.
- Chapter 11 — Welfare during transport of livestock and poultry, pp. 221-246.
- Chapter 14 — The effects of economic factors on the welfare of livestock and poultry, pp. 278-290.
- Chapter 16 — Successful technology transfer of behavioral and animal welfare research to the farm and slaughter plant, pp. 313-327.
VIDEOS OF LECTURES BY TEMPLE GRANDIN:
- Cattle Handling Principles to Reduce Stress
- Animal Handling in Meat Plants
- Low Stress Handling of Pigs
- Preventing Behavior Problems in your horse
- Video tour of Beef Plant with Temple Grandin
- Video tour of Pork Plant with Temple Grandin
- Video tour of Turkey Farm and Plant with Temple Grandin
- Cattle Handling Facilities Tips, Published by NCBA Beef Quality Assurance. Dr. Grandin does the second presentation in this video.
- Video tour of Lamb Plant with Temple Grandin
Click here for information on ordering books or videos.
Click here for list of Dr. Grandin's publications.
Click here to return to
the Homepage and menu of information on the behavior and handling of cattle,
pigs, antelope, bison and other animals. This page also contains
information on the design of animal handling facilities, humane slaughter,
and animal welfare.