Ways to Facilitate Animal Movement
- Eliminate shadows and sparkling reflections. Animals tend to move
from a darker area towards a lighter one, but they will avoid blinding
- Eliminate air drafts blowing into the face of animals. Animals will
stop if they feel air blowing towards them.
- Install shields so that animals can not see moving people up ahead.
- Remove objects that jiggle from inside races and pens. Animals will
balk and may stop moving if they see a reflection on a moving piece of
- Eliminate areas of sharp bright and dark contrast. Install drains
outside areas where the animals walk.
- To observe distractions which make animals balk, you must get down
and look up the race to get an "animal's eye view". Shadows and
reflections can often be removed by changing lighting, or installing a